Drill Team

ISO: 320
APERTURE: 2.8
SHUTTER SPEED: 1/30
LENS: 17-50

The lighting in the Black Box was extremely different than anything I've had to shoot so far. The fluorescent lighting is being shown down extremely brightly without having glass or anything to kind of muffle the light.
I took a flash with me to shoot, but when I used it I discovered that it just made my subjects shine like crazy. My pictures came out EXTREMELY overexposed. So, I decided to turn my flash off and adjust my settings to the light already in the room. 
The whole focus of the photo assignment was to capture an image that tells how crowded drill team is. The fact that I didn't use a flash was a good choice because I was so close to my subjects that no matter what that flash would be too bright for the room. 
I feel happy with my background because it helps to show that drill team is cramped into a room. There are a million girls shoved into one picture with arms overlapping everywhere.  The chairs show that there are things lining the walls and stuff in the room taking up space and complicating dancing. 
Normally, I would be freaking out a ton because my subject didn't have enough head room or because they were cut off in unacceptable places, but I feel as though in this case it was acceptable. The point of the image is to capture how cramped they are in a room, and the picture almost in a sense shows that you can't even fit all of them in a picture together.  
I have a real problem with shutter speed and settings that I need to start paying closer attention to. Most of this assignment's photos that I got had major motion blur. I should've bumped around on my ISO and aperture so that I could get my shutter speed up to at least 1/250 of a second, but it was extremely bad.

Comments

Popular

First Place ATPI Advanced Portfolio

Ashley Tyson Senior Pictures

Headshots: Carlie Clem