Faces of the Game- Chelsea Slider

In the May print issue of newspaper, we featured Chelsea Slider for softball. I went after school to the softball fields and met with Chelsea. Originally, we were going to take a photo of her batting, but I thought a more interesting picture would be of her sliding into the base. I'm aware that it is illegal for girls to slide head first into home, but there weren't any other bases on the field, and for the sake of the picture it looked better. 

ISO: 160
APERTURE: 13
SHUTTER SPEED: 1/200

I had two 600 flashes, one on camera and one set off to my right, both pointed at the home plate. I set the on camera flash into master and the off camera flash to slave, both in ETTL. I used settings like I would normally use in the studio, which kills the ambient light so that the flash would be picked up. I had the subject slide only about three times and this was the last take. A problem that we ran into is that the ground was very wet, so instead of dirt, there was thick, solid, clay with a layer of sand and grit on top. It didn't exactly look like the typical cloud of dust from a baseball picture, but it gave enough of an effect considering we were running close to deadline. 

Comments

Popular

First Place ATPI Advanced Portfolio

Ashley Tyson Senior Pictures

Headshots: Carlie Clem