Megan Harris- Drag Racer

ISO: 800
APERTURE: 2.8
SHUTTER SPEED: 1/250

I had to take a picture of a girl in my instructor's class for a feature over her hobby; drag racing. It was suppose to be an environmental portrait. Smith knew how he wanted the image to look, so we discussed the off camera lighting set up while I was packing gear to take on my assignment. 
This is the scratch preview of the setup. 
So, basically, we would have her truck and her car nose to nose with her standing in the center. Off camera to the left, there would be a 600 flash set on a light stand hitting her back for a rim light, zoomed to 200. Off camera to the right, there would be another 600 flash, but instead of being directly to her right, it would be facing more behind her. That way her face wasn't lit super brightly. This would be zoomed to 80. These would be put in slave mode and ETTL. The flash on my camera would be bounced and used strictly as a trigger until I realized I should use the kick card to bounce fill light on the subject. I used a 70-200mm lens until I realized I could not get far enough away from the subject to fit the image at the full focal length. Then I would have weird distortion. So, I switched to a 28-75mm lens zoomed all the way out to 75mm. I thought the image ended up fairly well. I didn't do much work in Lightroom except dragging the clarity up, but I'm proud of it. The less out of camera work I have to do, the better. 



Comments

Popular

First Place ATPI Advanced Portfolio

Ashley Tyson Senior Pictures

Headshots: Carlie Clem