Gloria Shields Workshop

ISO: 800
APERTURE: 4.0
SHUTTER SPEED: 1/250

I took this photo for a mock assignment at the Gloria Shields workshop. I chose to go to the local quilting shop that doubled as a post office. We had been recently taught about white balancing in camera and using your natural light to your advantage rather than disregarding it. Both these techniques were new to me. A woman was working under a long arm quilting machine which had a unique fluorescent light coming from underneath, but the rest of the room was dimly lit. I used that to my advantage getting on the same level as the bobbin. Because of white balancing in camera, colors pop off the image more. There is a nice creamy background, but her hand is still noticeable and nearly detailed due to the compression of the 70-200 I was using. This image has a natural darkening around the edges which contrasts with the vibrant colors to make it more appealing to the eye. I am pleased with this image and the new techniques. I think I will walk away from this assignment with the lesson learned that I will start white balancing in camera, and be very aware of my lighting situation while I am working rooms to use it to my advantage. I am a bigger fan of natural lighting rather than flashes for fill after this assignment. 

Comments

Popular

First Place ATPI Advanced Portfolio

Ashley Tyson Senior Pictures

Headshots: Carlie Clem